Saturday, January 25, 2014

Homework...

Haha, most people who see this will probably faint in astonishment that I have actually posted something, or nobody will ever see it because people have probably stopped checking to see if I ever post anything. For one of my education classes we received a homework assignment to write a poem. The poem had to follow the format of a poem that the teacher read us in class. That poem follows, and then I will share my creation after that.

 Where I'm From
  by George Ella Lyon

I am from clothespins,
from Clorox and carbon-tetrachloride.
I am from the dirt under the back porch.
(Black, glistening,
it tasted like beets.)
I am from the forsythia bush
the Dutch elm
whose long-gone limbs I remember
as if they were my own.
I'm from fudge and eyeglasses,
from Imogene and Alafair.
I'm from the know-it-alls
and the pass-it-ons,
from Perk up! and Pipe down!
I'm from He restoreth my soul
with a cottonball lamb
and ten verses I can say myself.
I'm from Artemus and Billie's Branch,
fried corn and strong coffee.
From the finger my grandfather lost
to the auger,
the eye my father shut to keep his sight.
Under my bed was a dress box
spilling old pictures,
a sift of lost faces
to drift beneath my dreams. 
 I am from those moments--
snapped before I budded --

leaf-fall from the family tree.

It is kind of a weird poem, and the teacher gave us a template to use to create our poems, which looked very strange. However, I did follow the format and I came up with a poem of my own.

Where I’m From
By Jaron Johnson

I am from wiffle ball,
from Legos and Disney.
I am from the trampoline without a cage.
(Frantic, bouncing,
it felt like flying.)
I am from the rosemary bushes,
the orange trees
fallen oranges sailing into neighbor’s yards.
I’m from the pioneers and perseverance,
from Gardell and Dianne.
I’m from the shop-til-you-drops
and the TV box brigade,
from Clean your room! and No you may not!
I’m from choose the right,
and enduring to the end.
I’m from Provo, from Vikings and Native Americans,
Indian tacos and sandbakkels.
From the Purple Heart my grandpa would
have received except for his honesty,
and the sleepwalking of Great-grandpa Cheever.
Bins placed upon bins, overflowing into shoeboxes,
memories stacked in a corner.
I am from ancestors past and generations to come,
A family spreading throughout eternity.

I actually enjoyed writing this poem a lot more than I thought I would when it was first assigned.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Good Job! It turned out great. I guess I better get going on mine. Love you!

Angela said...

What a neat poem to read. Thanks for sharing this Jaron.

missykac said...

Loved reading where you are from. You mentioned many important connections that I remember. Wow, you have a knack with words! No wonder you received a 10/10! So glad I can share your life in many fun and related memories. Love you!